Wednesday, December 22, 2010

2008 Erath, Pinot Noir (G's Tasting Series)

Bam, its hump day.. tasty time.

Ahhh, Oregon, supposedly the closest thing we have in the states to Burgundy, France.  I am fairly inexperienced in tasting Oregon wines so I revisited this Oregon Pinot that I tried back when I first really started to get into this wine thing.  I remember the first time I had it I was pretty impressed.

2008 Erath, Pinot Noir, Oregon
consumed Friday, Dec. 3, 2010, with friends, Retail $21

After much anticipation this wine really fell short from what I remembered it to be maybe 6 months prior.  It was thin, watery, and lacked any structure.  It had nice aromas of sweet cherry, damn earth, and a little pepper.  For the price point it was an okay wine, I'd like to taste some of the single vineyard designations to give the winery another shot.
**

One thing I think I've mentioned before about purchasing Pinot Noir (Pinot Noir Memoir post) is that you really need to spend some money in order to get a good one.  Pinot Noir is difficult to grow and make wine from, its finicky, and needs to have the right terroir in order to make it an awesome wine.  A nice Pinot, in my opinion, is the best wine in the world.  If Pinot Noir is a Ferrari then Cabernet Sauvignon is a Ford F-150.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment