Wednesday, April 27, 2011

2008 JM Boillot, Chassagne-Montrachet

As my trip to France rapidly approaches I find myself focusing on French wines and drinking as many as I can before leaving.  After a Queens of the Stone Age concert, and with my friend Mike in town, I thought, what better time to crack open a nice white Burgundy.  And here.....we.......go

2008 JM Boillot, Chassagne-Montrachet, 1er Cru, Macherelles, Burgundy
consumed April 11, 2011, with family/friends, Retail $59.99 (I think I acquired this on sale for $40)

I find myself more engaged in a wine when it reveals more than just fruit.  The fruit is the given, I mean, wine comes from grapes.  It's when you get into the mysterious or unexpected that my love for wine increases ten fold.  This is one of those wines.  The wine had this saltiness or brininess on the nose that was very interesting, with cinnamon, and nutmeg showing in the background.  This wine also has that "old world" minerality, reminiscent of wet stones.  In terms of the fruits, lemon custard, apple were prevalent.  Also on the nose was this elusive smell that I have never smelled in a white wine, it reminded me of tomatoes, but roasted and sweet, a little smokey as well.  It was crazy.  I have smelled it before somewhere but that is all I could think of.  As I write now I am still trying to locate the smell beyond what I described above.  Further, this full body wine tasted of apple, lemon and was framed with a strong yet integrated acidity.  The acidity took a second or two to hit and once it did the fruits seemed to really come out on the palate.  The wine had a nice long finish with the apple and lemon continuing on... and on... and on.
*****
My terrible camera work.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment