Friday, August 27, 2010

Bloody Hands & My Golden Retriever Brodie

It's been about a week since I last posted and I can barely type thanks to the serious amounts of scrubbing I have been doing.  My delicate computer hands are not used to this! ha.  The amount of sanitizing we have been doing is absolutely mind blowing.  We have scrubbed and cleaned all of the fermentation tanks, the floors, the barrels, the ceilings, the poles, the grape conveyor and anything you can possibly think of.  I will say it does feel good to know that I am helping with the production of beautiful wine.

Before my first interview I went out any bought a 2008 Rochioli Pinot (Estate wine that you can buy at retailers) so I would know what I was getting myself into and to be able to talk intelligently about the wine if asked (So yes, I am working at Rochioli Vineyards and Winery!!).  The wine was unbelievable, it was like having a miniature Stealth bomber carpeting your tongue with little fruit bombs, the aromas (which is about 70% of taste) and tastes were so concentrated I can only imagine what their (our :)) single vineyard wines are like.  I only hope to get the chance to try them!

Even though I have only been in this industry for 4 days or so I can already tell it is right for me.  I have met some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life through this experience.  People are willing to help out in any way they can, whether it be an introduction to someone at a winery, or spending two hours talking to you even though we don't even know each other.  Not only is it people in the industry helping one another but its also the wineries themselves.  Even though they are "competitors" to each other there is a deep understanding that we are all here to make great wine and help each other a long the way. To move the industry forward!  It just amazes me when compared to the traditional corporate world 'dog-eat-dog' mentality.

Speaking of dogs.... I would say that I am in the middle with dogs, I don't necessary like them or dislike them.  On occasion I will even pet them or as I sit right now in San Ramon with the family dog, Landu, I'll even take him out to go to the bathroom when he needs to.  I know, I'm so nice!  It's funny how things can change, and change quickly.

This is the mini side story of Brodie the Golden Retriever.

I was running down W. Dry Creek Road in Healdsburg enjoying the vineyards, the old gnarly Zinfandel vines raising to the sky, just cruising going about my business when out of the corner of my eye I see a dog just sprinting out of a driveway straight at me, I mean bookin it, full speed.  I'm freaked out but remain calm, I'm letting him sniff me, and I start petting him and all is good, I check his tag, his name is Brodie and lives somewhere nearby.  Now what to do, so I walk up the driveway a little, where I think he lives, he keeps walking, so I turn around and start walking down the driveway to the road.  I get to the road and start running..... and he comes Brodie.  I walk him back to the driveway, this time walking further in (it was a long driveway with a bunch of houses down it), he keeps walking, I turn around and sprint to the road..... here comes Brodie!!! the dog won't stop following.  Also, I notice that his paws are frickin giant, and he is small, so he's a puppy probably two years old.  This goes on for about 15 more minutes and finally I walk way down the driveway to some house where there is a lady and a guy outside, with a pit-bull inside looking for a brawl.  I'm thinking I picked the wrong house.  The guy was nice, we called the number on the dogs collar, no answer.  The guy gives me an invaluable clue, he thinks the address is across the vineyards down the road.  Ok, so Brodie and I leave.  At this point as annoyed as I am with this dog, he is pretty cool, hes running along my side, running in and out of the vineyards.  Having fun!  We get to the house I knock on the door and a little girl answers.  Is this your dog?  YES!!!! Thank you, Thank you.  Brodie ran inside, gave me the peace sign with his giant paw, and that was it.

So....I want a golden retriever when I grow up!  ha!

In closing, the first grapes are being harvested by Sparkling wine producers!!!  We have a harvest kickoff BBQ on Saturday then its more cleaning early next week, then by mid to late week, the harvest should begin!!!  I hope!!

No comments:

Post a Comment