Friday, August 20, 2010

Oh my, I got a job but no place to live

As I eluded to I am now working at a bookoo vineyard and winery in Healdsburg, CA, YAH!  This is the story of that courtship!

I was laid off from my former employer the Monday after 4th of July and immediately began cranking out cover letters and resumes for harvest internships and basically anything related to the wine industry.  The second day of doing this I sent my resume to a post that was literally posted right when I hit refresh on my browser, I researched the winery, tailored my cover letter and resume (thanks for the advice, you know who you are, so smart :)) specifically to the winery.  As I read through their website I became drawn to their ideals.  The winemaker was enlightened on a trip to Burgundy (Domaine de la Romanee-Conti) where he tasted through various Romanee wines (a 1945 Le Montrachet, and a 1967 Richebourg!!!! he could barely describe to me what it was like) expressing specific site terrior (Terrior).  He brought that passion back from Burgundy and started making site specific wines from his various vineyards.  I was sold!

About a day later I received an email asking me to call and setup an interview!  I couldn't beleive it.  After applying to about 15 wineries this was the first response.  I call the number and she starts giving me directions to the vineyard and at the time I was still in Washington, D.C.  I explain to her that I am Washington, D.C. still, and she tells me I have to interview in person.  She said good luck with finding an internship and before hanging up, I said wait I'll fly out!

I used all of my frequent flier miles, and I also had to purchase miles to get out there.  The interview goes very well, we talk about my passion for wine, his experience at Romanee and I felt good about it.  Tuesday rolls around and I am asked to come to a second interview, SUPER!  But wait, yes it has to be in person again.  They told me not to spend the money flying out again and to maybe explore other options!  There was a glimmer of hope when I was told the winemaker would email me soon!  DANG, keep truckin.  Right when I was about to leave for Milwaukee, I got that email, asking if I was still interested in a second interview, I schedule the interview which was on Monday of this week, and was basically offered the job after the second interview.  They wanted me to start as soon as possible!

For the time being I am staying at a friend of a friends house in Healdsburg!  The crazy thing is that, when I showed up, I realized that we had actually met before at a dinner party in San Francisco.... small world.  They also own a bed and breakfast (Zinscape), the place is awesome and they are great people!!  If you are looking for something a little more rustic and not run of the mill when coming to wine country, this is it.  It literally sits between two vineyards and the property is breathtaking! 

My first day of work was on Thursday and can be summarized by one word, cleaning!  We cleaned and scrubbed most of the primary fermentation tanks which need to be spotless for when the grapes start coming in.  The summer has been pretty cool.  Typically harvest is right around now but we are thinking that it won't happen for another 2-3 weeks.

Have a super weekend!


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment