Monday, August 2, 2010

Welcome to my journey!

Back in December of 2009, a close friend of mine emailed me asking, if in 5 years he had gotten in the wine industry, would I join him?  At the time I said of course but in the back of my mind I really thought it would never happen.  Around the same time, I had a burning desire to do something new, to switch careers and start a new in Denver.  I applied for a job in the financial services industry.  After going through a rigorous and challenging hiring process I was extended an offer on a Friday.  I was going to take the weekend to think about everything and by Saturday I had decided that I was going to take the job.  However, I woke Sunday morning with a bad feeling about the whole thing and started thinking that maybe it's not for me.  I spent that day talking with family and friends about the job.  I first spoke to my Dad at length about it, and he said "I wish I could tell you what to do, but in the end you have to make the decision yourself."  He then asked the pivotal question, "What do you want to be doing?"  I thought to myself and responded with "I would like to be a business owner, own a wine bar or winery."  I then talked to my Mom and she was right there with more advice.  Basically saying that I can do whatever I want and agreeing with me that the financial job was not something I should pursue.  She gave me tons of ideas.  She thought that the financial job would pigeon hole me into doing one thing.  I also spoke to my friends who were more than helpful in giving me advice.

I learned a lot through this experience, no matter how alone you feel, you are never alone.   I am no longer in fear of my job or having a job.  The experience has given me the confidence that I can do anything and my family and friends have my back 100%.

To make things even more interesting, after the July 4th weekend I was laid off by my employer, with the lease on my apartment ending in August, I decided to go after this full on and move to California.  I will be moving across the country starting Tuesday, August 3rd, DC to Michigan, with my Dad and then on August 8th from Michigan to California with my brother.

It's going to be an awesome trip.  Check back for more, I promise it will be exciting and dangerous!

With that, this is my journey.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment